Konnect with the Kazoo is a brand new, fun and exciting opportunity to get out and enjoy the Kalamazoo River in 2020! This event offers a way for everyone to connect with the Kalamazoo River in their own way, on their own time, and in a way that does not require social gathering. We are calling it a semi-virtual event in that participants will go and enjoy the river in their own way and then share their experiences by posting pictures on our social media platforms.
All registered participants will receive a gift bag in the mail! It will include a “Konnect with the Kazoo” t-shirt and some other fun items including some great local sponsor coupons. You’ll also be entered into a drawing to win some great grand prizes including a BRAND NEW KAYAK!
The event will KICK OFF on July 26th – the 10th anniversary of the Enbridge Oil Spill in the Kalamazoo River and will continue throughout the entire month of August.
Enjoy the River and make a difference at the same time!
Here’s how it works:
- Register Here
- Pay a $35 registration fee (proceeds will go to the Kalamazoo River Watershed Council and future Water Quality initiatives)
- You’ll be mailed a participation gift bag!
- You’ll automatically be entered into a drawing for some awesome grand prizes!
- Go and do your thing anytime between July 26 and the end of August 2020
- Share pictures of your “Konnections” with the Kazoo! Share your pics by email, instagram or facebook. You will receive extra entries for the Grand Prize drawing for each pic you post (appropriately tagged – see tagging instructions).
- See on Grand Prize Drawing below to learn how you can earn even more chances to win!
WIN A BRAND NEW KAYAK AND OTHER GRAND PRIZES!
Register for Konnect with the Kazoo and you’ll be automatically entered into a drawing for some fabulous grand prizes! Want more chances to win? Here’s how:
- Post a picture of your “connection” with the Kalamazoo River on Facebook or Instagram using #kalamazooriverwatershed and @kalamazooriver. If you’re not comfortable with social media, feel free to share pics by email at email@example.com.
- If a Konnect with the Kazoo event t-shirt is in the photo…you get an additional entry!
- Engage with us on our social media (facebook and instagram) by sharing your event related experiences in text. We’re hoping participants will share great fishing spots (ya right!), fun places to walk or ride bikes near the river, favorite paddling segments, places to eat or shop near the river, etc.
The Grand Prize Drawings will take place on September 10th!
Become a Sponsor
In consideration of the impact of the pandemic on the economy, we want to allow for sponsorship flexibility. We are not proposing any minimums. Ways to sponsor:
- Donation of any amount:
- Provide incentives to participants. For example, if they wear their event shirt to your establishment during the month of August they get 50% of an item, or we can place promo coupons in the participant gift bags.
- Provide a Grand Prize
- Assist in Promotion
- Sponsors Logos on T-shirt back – (logo must be submitted by July 12)
- Sponsor logo and thanks on event flyer – given to each participant
- Sponsor thank you/recognition on social media
We will be promoting the event heavily via: Facebook, Instagram, Website, E-Mail, Flyers
To send logo files or find out more information about sponsorship please call 269-317-4015 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Am I in the Kalamazoo River Watershed?
How do know where Kalamazoo River Access Points are?
A great resource for identifying access points is michiganwatertrails.org. You’ll see the Kalamazoo River Water Trail under the Southern Michigan Region. Expand the map and click on a location to find out locations, amenities such as parking, bathrooms, camping, etc., launch fees, and more. If you click on “find nearby places” you may find information on distances from and location of upstream and downstream access points. Much of the information on the water trails website has been provide by the KRWC and we are working all the time to update and add more information to the water trail map. If you use the map and have suggestions to offer such as additional information that would be helpful, please let us know!
BE ADVENTUROUS – PADDLE A SEGMENT THAT IS NEW TO YOU!
Where can I rent Kanoes and Kayaks?
Plainwell Kayak Company provides kayak rental and transportation service located at 211 N. Main St., Plainwell, Michigan 49080. Call 269-356-2926.
Marshall Recreation Department 900 S Marshall Ave, Marshall, MI 49068 Call: 269-781-5166
Watertrail Ventures: http://www.watertrailventures.com/
Fort Custer Outfitters: https://www.facebook.com/fortcusteroutfitters/
Want to Give Back?
Become a River Giver by giving a donation to support important river programming and protection projects. Even a small donation is an important investment in the future of our local water resources.
High Water Levels
At certain points and during certain times of the year the Kalamazoo River and its tributaries are prone to flood conditions. It is important to be aware of water conditions before you enter the river. You can search for the daily water conditions of the river at several locations on the USGS National Water Information Website. Click the map to find water gauge stations along the Kalamazoo River and many rivers throughout Michigan. Each station will have current water level, along with average levels as a comparison. Typically river water levels are at their highest in the spring, although any large rain storm can cause water levels to rise rapidly in some areas of the river (and especially smaller tributary streams).
We want everyone to enjoy the Kalamazoo River and our inland water resources in a safe and fun way. It is important to remember you are in charge of your own safety when using the river. There are some important safety reminders in the documents below that we find helpful for individuals and groups looking to enjoy the pure Michigan waters of our state.
We are asking all participants to take appropriate social distancing precautions as defined by the CDC and the State of Michigan guidelines. Wearing masks and keeping six feet apart from others are critical tools to keeping ourselves and our communities safe. By taking this seriously and doing their part, all Michiganders can be part of the solution. As a Konnect with the Kazoo participant, we are providing a mask for you!
Special thanks to our supporters:
- Bells Brewery
- TMI Compressors
- Envirologic, Environmental Consulting
- Orange Theory Fitnes
- Calhoun County Trailway Alliance
- Kalamazoo River Community Recreation Foundation
- Battle Creek Clean Water Partners
- Territorial Brewing Company
- River Street Flowerland
- Wenke Greenhouses
- One Well Brewery
- Discover Kalamazoo
- Marshall Area Conservation Committee
- White House Nature Center
- TMDL Partners
- City of Kalamazoo
- City of Battle Creek
- Marshall Recreation Department
- Fleis & Vandenbrink
Want to become a sponsor? See “Become a Sponsor” is the Resources section above.