The Kalamazoo River Watershed Council’s mission and vision come from a desire to protect, preserve, and promote the Kalamazoo River and its tributaries for area residents and visitors, and future generations.
We envision a Kalamazoo River and connected waterways that are free-flowing, with good water quality, and healthy ecosystems that are managed and protected by decisions and actions in the region and provide environmental, social, and economic benefits. This will be accomplished by engaging a strong and effective community of dedicated partners working together to protect the Kalamazoo River Watershed.
The goals of the Kalamazoo River Watershed Council are to:
- Promote wise stewardship and use of the natural resources of the Kalamazoo River and its watershed through education about its environmental, social, and economic issues;
- Promote and celebrate the river as a recreational, aesthetic, and economic resource;
- Facilitate, support, and provide technical assistance to partners addressing river and watershed issues, management planning, and funding;
- Develop and implement resource protection and ecological enhancement projects; and,
- Continue to function as the Public Advisory Council for all matters related to the problem of contaminated sediments in the Kalamazoo River system, advocating long-term solutions that will help produce a cleaner and safer river environment.
We deal with a wide variety of watershed issues ranging from contaminated sediments to aging dams to excessive nutrient inputs from land to water. The Watershed Council is committed to re-establishing waters that are safe for fishing, swimming, and other uses, seeking to clean up old pollution problems and prevent new ones. We adapt watershed management efforts through time with scientific research and through demonstration projects that show people how they can manage land or water with fewer negative impacts. And we keep watch on emerging watershed issues such as pathogens (e.g. E. coli), pharmaceuticals, global warming, and water quantity.
Learn about opportunities to support the KRWC in its mission and vision today!
Click here to view our most recent KRWC Strategic Plan.
*The Kalamazoo River Watershed Council is the assumed name of this organization, which was incorporated under the name of the Kalamazoo River Watershed Public Advisory Council in 1998.
As a tax exempt organization, the public is welcome to inspect all IRS related documents including our annual Form 990ez return. Please contact us or visit our office.